SFeDu
  • Home
  • Issues
  • No 2
  • Altman's model for the industry of the russian federation in 2015 compared to the data of rosneft and gazprom group: facts and hypotheses

ALTMAN'S MODEL FOR THE INDUSTRY OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION IN 2015 COMPARED TO THE DATA OF ROSNEFT AND GAZPROM GROUP: FACTS AND HYPOTHESES

TERRA ECONOMICUS, , Vol. 17 (no. 2),

This article continues the series on the Altman model application to the largest Russian companies’ performance indicators, with the focus on the Altman model for the Russian industry for 2015. Parameters of the model are calculated in two ways: relying on the canonical model, and on the model for developing countries. The model for developing countries is seen as a preferable one, showing similar socio-economic characteristics for Russia. The author’s estimations are based on the official statistical data provided by the Federal State Statistics Service of the Russian Federation – Rosstat, with the statistical bias taken into account. Related statistical errors include seriously underestimated value of fixed assets, the erroneous industrial classification of Gazprom and Rosneft groups. Creation of offshore company accounts as collateral for creditors is also taken into account. A method for determining the size of these accounts is proposed. The resulting scores according to the Altman model for industry are compared with the calculation results of the Altman model applied to Rosneft and Gazprom Group performance indicators. The Altman model scores are also estimated for three industrial sectors: mining, manufacturing and power generation. Canonical Altman model, based on the data by Rosstat and considering statistical errors, forecasts unsatisfactory financial condition of the Russian industry. At the same time, these results are much better than in Rosneft and Gazprom group. According to the model for developing countries, the results are satisfactory. Consideration of offshore accounts allows the author to predict good financial condition of the industry of the Russian Federation. Research findings suggest that particularly good results are demonstrated by the mining and manufacturing industries; the findings on the power industry are considered to be least satisfactory ones – due to the restriction of electricity and heat tariffs. Conclusions are drawn concerning improvements of the economic analysis of industry, improving statistic methods and accounting in the industry of the Russian Federation.
Citation: Khanin, G. I. (2019). Altman’s model for the industry of the Russian Federation in 2015 compared to the data of Rosneft and Gazprom group: facts and hypotheses. Terra Economicus, 17(2), 124–145. DOI: 10.23683/2073-6606-2019-17-2124-145

Keywords: Russian industry; Altman model; Altman model application for the Russian industry; Altman model calculations for the mining industry of the Russian Federation; calculation of the Altman model for the manufacturing industry of the Russian Federation; calculation of the Altman model for the electric power industry of the Russian Federation

References:
  • Altman, E. (1983). Corporate Financial Distress: A Complete Guide to Predicting, Avoiding, and Dealing with Bankruptcy. New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc.
  • Altman, E. I. (2005). An emerging market credit scoring system for corporate bonds.
  • Emerging Market Review, (6). [Op. cit.: Lvova, N. A. (2015). Financial diagnostics of Russianenterprises using the Altman model for developed and emerging markets. Financial analytics: problems and solutions, (8). (In Russian.)]
  • Eidleman, G. J. (1995). Z scores – a guide to failure prediction. The CPA Journal, 65(2),52–53.
  • Fomin, D. A., & Khanin, G. I. (2017). Dynamics of the fixed capital of the Russian Federation in the post-Soviet period (1992–2015). Problemy Prognozirovaniya [Problems of Forecasting], (4). (In Russian.)
  • Khanin, G. I. (2018). The Altman formula without sly figures (on the example of the oil industry). Bankovskoe Delo [Banking], (3), 20‒22. (In Russian.)
  • Khanin, G. I. (2018b). Russian industrial companies and creditors are captivated by sly figures (on the example of the oil industry): facts and hypotheses. Journal of Economic Regulation, 9(2), 16–27. DOI: 10.17835/2078-5429.2018.9.2.016-027 (in Russian.)
  • Khanin, G. I. (2018c). Alternative assessment of the Altman model for Gazprom Group for 2016: Facts and hypotheses. Terra Economicus, 16(2), 17–26. DOI: 10.23683/2073-6606-2018-16-2-17-26 (in Russian.)
  • Lavrushin, O. I., Afanasyeva, O. I., & Kornienko, S. L. (2011). Banking: A Modern Credit System. Мoscow.
  • Sascvimol et al. (2014). A case study of listed company in The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET). Postorozi Slovakia International Conference 2014, 25–27 June 2014.
  • Yasin, E. (2019). Russian Economy: Origins and Panorama of Market Reforms. Lecture course. Moscow: HSE Publishing House, 448 p. doi: 10.17323/978-5-7598-1951-6 (in Russian.)
Publisher: Southern Federal University
Founder: Southern Federal University
ISSN: 2073-6606