SFeDu

ECONOMICS AND LINGUISTICS: THEORY, HISTORY, PRACTICE

TERRA ECONOMICUS, , Vol. 17 (no. 2),

In this article the interrelationships between linguistics and economics, which took place at different stages of their development, are explored. Term economics in this article refers to economic theory, economic history, as well as analysis (sociological or philosophical) of economic practices in general. In order to uncover essential similarities that are contained in these areas of knowledge, the task is to identify paradigmatic reasons that made possible methodological adoptions from one science to another and determined existence of a system of serial and deep parallels between them. At the same time, special attention is paid to exploration of these parallels in the context of a number of main intellectual approaches that have competed with each other during the past century: structuralism, logical positivism, and subjectivism. It is demonstrated that each of these philosophical approaches can be correlated with a special relationship to linguistic reality and with a specific economic theory at the same time. Thus, in this article is shown some close relationship of structuralism (and structural linguistics) with various types of Marxist discourses; Objectivism – and logical positivism – with the English and American economic tradition (economics), and subjectivism – with the concepts of the Austrian economic school. Along with this, the study provides explanations of some important reasons that historically underlay the identified correspondences. As such, there are found the reasons that (depending on the case under consideration) are completely different, varying from the social conditionality to depending on the national characteristics of the particular school of thought.
Citation: Sysoev, P. I. (2019). Economics and linguistics: theory, history, practice. Terra Economicus, 17(2), 163–175. DOI: 10.23683/2073-6606-2019-17-2-163-175

Keywords: linguistics; economic theory; economic history; structuralism; epistemology

References:
  • Althusser, L. (1971). Lenin and Philosophy and Other Essays. London: NLB.
  • Althusser, L. (1973). The Conditions of Marx’s Scientific Discovery. Theoretical Practice, (7–8), 4–8.
  • Barthes, R. (1957). Mythologies. Paris: Editions du Seuil.
  • Barthes, R. (1989). Selected works. Semiotics, poetics. Moscow: Progress Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Baudrillard, J. (1970). La Société de consummation: ses mythes, ses structures. Editions Denoël.
  • Baudrillard, J. (2003). To criticism of the political economy of the sign. Moscow: BiblionRussian Book Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Baudrillard, J. (2015). Symbolic exchange and death. Moscow: Dobrosvet Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Block, D. (2017). Political Economy in Applied Linguistics Research. Language Teaching, 50(1), 32–64.
  • Block, D. (2018). Political economy and sociolinguistics: Neoliberalism, inequality and social class. London: Bloomsbury, 2018
  • Boyne, R. (2003). Structuralism, pp. 172–197 / In: B. S. Turner (ed.) Blackwell Companion to Social Theory. Tomsk: Tomsk state University. (In Russian.)
  • Braudel, F. (1986). Material civilization, economy and capitalism of the XV–XVIII centuries, vols. I–III. Moscow: Progress, 1986–1992. (In Russian.)
  • Chaffee, D., & Lemert, C. (2009). Structuralism and Poststructuralism, pp. 124–141 / In: B. S. Turner (ed.) The New Blackwell Companion to Social Theory. Blackwell Publishing Ltd. What is the point of a philosopher believing in reality? (2009). Chora (2), 148–164. (In Russian.)
  • Fokin, S. L. (2018). The price of truth: reciprocity, gift, exchange, freedom in the ethics of Rene Descartes, p. 98. Economics. literature. Language. Collection of abstracts VII International scientific conference. St. Petersburg: Center of scientific and information technologies «Asterion». (In Russian.)
  • Foucault, M. (1966). Les mots et les choses: Une archéologie des sciences humaines. Editions Gallimard.
  • Gurevich, A. Y. (1993). Historical synthesis and the school «Annals». Moscow: Indrik Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Le Goff, J. (2014). The Middle Ages and Money: A Sketch of Historical Anthropology. SPb: Eurasia. (In Russian.)
  • Marx, K. (2016a). Capital. Criticism of political economy, vol. I. Book I. The process of production of capital. Moscow: Mann, Ivanov and Ferber Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Marx, K. (2016b). Poverty of philosophy. Moscow: Eksmo Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Mill, J. S. (1974). A System of Logic Ratiocinative and Inductive. Collected Works of John Stuart Mill. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
  • Revzin, I. I. (1977). Modern structural linguistics. Problems and methods. Moscow: Science. (In Russian.)
  • Roger, F. (2018). What should we do without Roland Barthes? P. 9–38 / In: What should we do with Roland Barthes? Proceedings of the international conference. Moscow: NLO. (In Russian.)
  • Rothbard, M. N. (2006). Economic Thought Before Adam Smith. An Austrian Perspective on the History of Economic Thought: in 2 vols. Vol. I. Auburn: Ludwig von Mises Institute.
  • Saussure, F., de. (1977). The course of general linguistics / In: De Saussure, F. Works on linguistics. Moscow: Progress Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Serebrennikova, E. F. (2011). Diachronic semiometry of the French word la valeur, pp. 49–57 / In: Serebrennikova, E. F. Linguistics and Axiology. Ethnosemiometry of value meanings. Moscow: Thesaurus. (In Russian.)
  • Smirnov, A. V. (2018). M. Foucault: figures of discourse in economic theory, p. 89 / In: Economics. Literature. Language. Collection of abstracts VII International scientific conference. St. Petersburg: Center of scientific and information technologies «Asterion» Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Soto, H. U., de. (2008). Money, bank loans and business cycles. Chelyabinsk: Sotzium Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Soto, H. U., de. (2018). Austrian School of Economics: Market and Entrepreneurial Creativity. Chelyabinsk: Sotzium Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Vikulova, L. G., Serebrennikova, E. F., Vostrikova, O. V., & Gerasimova, S. A. (2018). Linguisticaxiological analysis of valeur / value tokens: comparative approach. Philological
  • Sciences. scientific reports of the higher school, (1), 3–13. (In Russian.)
  • Volchik V. V. (2015). Interdisciplinarity in Economic Science: Between Imperialism and Pluralism. Terra Economicus, 13(4), 52–64. (In Russian.)
  • Wallerstein, I. (2016). Modern World System: vols. I–IV. World-system of Modern I: Capitalist agriculture and the origins of the European world-economy in the XVI century. Moscow: University Publishing House of Dmitry Pozharsky. (In Russian.)
  • Zander, P.-O. (2014). Baudrillard’s Theory of Value: A Baby in the Marxist Bath Water? Rethinking Marxism, 26(3), 382–397.
  • Zenkin, S. N. (2014). Roland Barthes: the signs of the myth. Arbor mundi, (20), 163–178. (In Russian.)
Publisher: Southern Federal University
Founder: Southern Federal University
ISSN: 2073-6606