SFeDu

Hedonistic culture and global crisis

TERRA ECONOMICUS, , Vol. 12 (no. 1),
p. 28-40

The goal of the paper is to analyze the role of economic culture as a factor of global crisis. Author shows that contemporary capitalism’s culture should be defined as a hedonistic culture, and such one may lead to the crisis tendencies. The point is that hedonistic culture promotes financial fragility, distorts valuation of future time – in particular, stimulates investor myopia – and generates rising opportunism.

Keywords: economic culture; hedonistic culture; global crisis; financial fragility; investor myopia; opportunism

References:
  • Balatsky E.V. (2009). Alchemy of the financial crisis – 2008 [Alkhimiya finansovogo krizisa – 2008]. Available at: http://www.ippnou.ru/article.php?idarticle=006256. (In Russian.)
  • Baudrillard J. (1999). The System of Objects. Moscow: Rudomino Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Baudrillard J. (2006). Consumer Society. Its myths and structures. Moscow: Respublika Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Bulatov A.S. (1997). Capital Export from Russia and the Concept of Its Regulation [Vyvoz kapitala iz Rossii i kontseptsiya ego regulirovaniya]. Moscow: MONF Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Fedotov K.A. (2005). The investment breakout [Investitsionniy proryv]. Available at: http://www.contrtv.ru/print/1809/ (In Russian.)
  • Grischchenko V.O. (2011). Crisis in the context of post-Keynesian theory [Krizis v kontekste postkeynsianskoy teorii] // Mirovoe i natsionalnoe khozyaystvo, no. 4. (In Russian.)
  • Keynes J.M. (2002). The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money [Obshchaya teoria zanyatosti, protsenta i deneg]. Moscow: Gelios ARV. (In Russian.)
  • Raskov D.E. (2012). The Economic Institutions of the Old Believers [Ekonomicheskie instituty staroobryadchestva]. Saint Petersburg: Saint Petersburg State University Publishing House. (In Russian.)
  • Rozmainsky I.V. (2003). On the General Theory of «Non-»Rationality of Economic Behavior [Na puti k obshchey teorii neratsional’nosti povedeniya khozyaystvuyushchih subjektov] // Economic Herald of Rostov State University [Ekonomicheskiy vestnik Rostovskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta], vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 86–99. (In Russian.)
  • Rozmainsky I.V. (2012). Economic culture as a factor and barrier to economic growth [Ekonomicheskaya kultura kak factor i baryer ekonomicheskogo rosta] // Journal of Institutional Studies, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 22–32. (In Russian.)
  • Tsirel S.V. (2004). Market economy and types of consumption [Rynochnaya ekonomika i tipy potrebleniya] // Economic Herald of Rostov State University [Ekonomicheskiy vestnik Rostovskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta], vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 45–58. (In Russian.)
  • Veber M. (1990). Selected works [Izbrannye proizvedeniya]. Moscow: Progress Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Veblen T. (1984). The theory of the leisure class. Moscow: Progress Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Williamson O. (1996). Firms, Markets, Relational Contracting. Saint Petersburg: Lenizdat. (In Russian.)
  • Binswanger M. (2000). Stock Market Booms and Real Economic Activity: Is This Time Different? International Review of Economics and Finance, vol. 9, pp. 387–415.
  • Brown C. (1997). Consumer Credit and the Propensity to Consume: Evidence from the 1930s. Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, vol. 19, № 4, pp. 617–636.
  • Duesenberry J. (1949). Income, Saving and the Theory of Consumer Behavior. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
  • Galbraith J.K. (1958). The Affluent Society. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
  • Galbraith J.K. (1967). The New Industrial State. London: Hamilton.
  • Galbraith J.K. (1973). Economics and the Public Purpose. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
  • Grahl J. (1988). Productivity Slowdown and Financial Tensions / In Arestis P. (ed.) (1988). PostKeynesian Monetary Economics: New Approaches to Financial Modelling. Aldershot: Edward Algar. P. 183–218.
  • Kapeller J., Schutz B. (2012). Conspicuous Consumption, Inequality and Debt: The Nature of Consumption-Driven Profit-Led Regimes. Johannes Kepler University of Linz. Department of Economics. Working Paper No. 1213, December. Available at: http://www.econbiz.de/en/search/detailed-view/doc/all/conspicuous-consumption-inequality-and-debt-the-nature-of-consumption-driven-profit-ledregimes-kapeller-jakob/10009739000/?no_cache=1.
  • Minsky H.P. (1975). John Maynard Keynes. New York: Columbia University Press.
  • Minsky H.P. (1977). The Financial Instability Hypothesis: An Interpretation of Keynes and an Alternative to «Standard» Theory. Nebraska Journal of Economics and Business, vol. 16, № 1, pp. 5–16.
  • Minsky H.P. (1986). Stabilizing an Unstable Economy. London: Yale University Press.
  • Minsky H.P. (1992). The Financial Instability Hypothesis. The Levy Economics Institute, Working Paper # 74, May.
  • Palley T. (2007). Financialization: What It Is and Why It Matters. The Levy Economics Institute of Bard College, Working Paper № 525, December.
  • Trezzini A. (2011). The Irreversibility of Consumption as a Source of Endogenous Demand-driven Economic Growth. Review of Political Economy, vol. 23, № 4, pp. 537–556.
  • Wray L.R. (2009). The Rise and Fall of Money Manager Capitalism: A Minskian Approach. Cambridge Journal of Economics, vol. 33, № 4, pp. 807–828.
Publisher: Southern Federal University
Founder: Southern Federal University
ISSN: 2073-6606