Ricardian theory of rent as interpreted by Sieber
Alexander N. Dubyansky
TERRA ECONOMICUS, 2020, Vol. 18 (no. 3),
The article deals with the Ricardian theory of rent as interpreted by one of the first Russian Marxists, Nikolai Sieber. Sieber made great efforts to popularize Marxʼs ideas in Russia. He believed it was his mission to make complex theoretical constructions of Marxism simpler and more understandable for the majority of readers. Sieber began his way to Marxism with the study and translation of the writings on classical political economy by D. Ricardo. Furthermore, Sieber’s texts focus on a wide range of opinions on land rent presented in the works of Russian and foreign economists of the XIX–XX centuries. This article also pays considerable attention to the political aspects of rent, which are perhaps crucial to the issue of rent. This is due to the fact that rent has been and remains an important tool for the redistribution of national income and, therefore, is an element of the political structure. Ricardian theory of rent came into being during the debate over high bread duties in England and was, in fact, an instrument of struggle against landowners who received rental super profits because of high grain prices. Subsequently, this theory was considered as a tool of struggle against the industrial bourgeoisie, which caused its fierce criticism from the apologists of the bourgeoisie.
Citation: Dubyansky, A. N. (2020). Ricardian theory of rent as interpreted by Sieber. Terra Economicus, 18(3), 125–139. DOI: 10.18522/2073-6606-2020-18-3-125-139
Acknowledgment: The article was supported by the internal grant of St. Petersburg State University «Marxism before Marxism: socio-economic and epistolary legacy of N.I. Sieber» (ID 53363115).
Keywords: Sieber; rent; Ricardo; Malthus; duties on grain; England
JEL codes: B12, B14, B31
- Anderson, J. (1777). An Enquiry into the Nature of the Corn Laws, with a view to the new Corn Bill proposed for Scotland. Edinburgh: Mundell.
- Blaug, M. (1994). Economic Theory. Moscow: Delo Ltd Publ., 720 p.
- Carey, G. C. (1869). Manual to Social Science. Saint Petersburg: Kn. Shakhovskoi Publ., 704 p.
- Dubyanskiy, A. (2011). Russian economists of the late XIX – early XX century on the influence of the peasant reform of 1861 on the development of agriculture of Russia. Bulletin of Saint Petersburg University. Series 5. Economy, (2), 18–27. (In Russian.)
- Dubyansky, A. (2016). Sieber and Vorontsov on the capitalist path of development of Russia. Terra Economicus, 14 (4), 107–118. DOI: 10.18522/2073-6606-2016-14-4-107-118. (In Russian.)
- Fratini, S. M. (2012). A remark on intensive rent differential and the labour theory of value in Ricardo. Bulletin of Political Economy, (6), 133–147.
- Fuchs, V. A. (1871). The Study of the Theory of Land Rent. Moscow: Printing House of Grachev and Co, 159 p. (In Russian.)
- Gordeev, G. S. (1924). Ricardoʼs Theory of Land Rent. Introduction to the Study of Karl Marxʼs land rent theory. Rostov-on-Don; Krasnodar: Burevestnik Publ. (In Russian.)
- Ilyenkov, E. V. (1960). The Dialectics of the Abstract and the Concrete in «Capital» Marx. Moscow: Publishing House of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 290 p. (In Russian.)
- Jones, R. (1831). An essay on the distribution of wealth and on the sources of taxation. Reprinted in New York: A.M. Kelley, 1967.
- Klyukin, P. N. (2007). Revision of the Neo-Ricardian theory of value and distribution: New evidence and new perspectives. Voprosy Ekonomiki, (5), 117–137. (In Russian.)
- Kulisher, I. M. (1904). The Historic Basis of the Doctrine of Ricardo on Rent. Russian Wealth, (7), 113–144. (In Russian.)
- Lyubimov, L. (1925). The Doctrine of Rent. Moscow; Leningrad: State Publishing House, Printing House «Krasnyi Proletariat», 501 p. (In Russian.)
- Malthus, T. (1908). Research on the nature and development of rent, as well as on the principles of its regulation / In: Treatises of Malthus and Ricardo on Rent. Yuriev: Printing House of K. Mattisen. (In Russian.)
- Malthus, T. R. (1815a). An inquiry into the nature and progress of rent and the principles by which it is regulated. London: John Murray, 1815. Reprinted in The Works of Thomas Robert Malthus, o. c., Vol. 7.
- Malthus, T. R. (1815b). The Grounds of an Opinion on the Policy of Restricting the Importations of Foreign Corn. London: John Murray, 1815. Reprinted in The Works of Thomas Robert Malthus, o. c., Vol. 7.
- Mill, J. S. (2007). Principles of Political Economy with some of their Applications to Social Philosophy. Moscow: Eksmo Publ., 1040 p. (In Russian.)
- Montani, G. (1972). La teoria ricardiana della rendita. LíIndustria, (3-4), 221–243.
- Pasinetti, L. L. (2014). Sur Líorigine de la Thèorie de la Rente en Èconomie, pp. 31–53 / In: D. Leeman, F. Tricou (eds.) Economie, mathèmatique et histoire. Nanterre: Presses Universitaires de Paris Ouest.
- Quesnay, F. (2008). Analysis of the Economic Tables, pp. 350–366 / In: Quesnay, F., Turgot, A. R. J., DuPont de Nemours, P. S. Physiocrats. Selected Writings on Economics. Moscow: Eksmo Publ., 1200 p. (In Russian.)
- Raskov, D. E. (2016). N.I. Sieber as an armchair economic anthropologist. Terra Economicus, 14(4), 92–106. DOI: 10.18522/2073-6606-2016-14-4-92-106. (In Russian.)
- Raskov, D. E. (2018). Who was Nikolai Sieber? Contexts of intellectual biography. Voprosy Ekonomiki, (4), 111–128. (In Russian.)
- Ricardo, D. (1882). Works of David Ricardo. Saint Petersburg: L.F. Panteleev Publ. (In Russian.)
- Ricardo, D. (1908). Experience on the impact of the low price of bread on capital gains, showing the inexpediency of import restrictions, as well as comments on Mr. Malthus’ last two works: «Studies on the Nature and Development of Rent» and «Fundamentals of the View on the Policy of Restricting the Import of Foreign Bread» / In: Treatises by Malthus and Ricardo on Rent. Yuriev: Printing House of K. Mattisen. (In Russian.)
- Ricardo, D. (2008) Principles of Political Economy and Taxation. Selected Works. Moscow: Eksmo Publ., 960 p. (In Russian.)
- Robbins, L. (2013). History of Economic Thought: Lectures at the London School of Economics. Moscow: Gaidar Institute Press, 496 p. (In Russian.)
- Rogers, G. (1899). History of Labor and Wages in England from XIII to XIX Century. Saint Petersburg: Printing House of Saint Petersburg JSC «Izdatel», 476 p.
- Roncalia, A. (2018). The Wealth of Ideas: A History of Economic Thought. Moscow: HSE Publishing House, 656 p.
- Shirokorad, L. D. (2018). Nikolay Sieber in the history of prerevolutionary Russian economic thought. Voprosy Ekonomiki, (4), 95–110. (In Russian.)
- Sieber, N. I. (1870). On the Doctrine of Rent. Universitetskie Izvestiya, (5), 39 p. (In Russian.)
- Sieber, N. I. (1885). David Ricardo and Karl Marx and their Socio-Economic Research. Experience of Critical Economic Research. Saint Petersburg: Stasulevich Publ. (In Russian.)
- Smith, A. (2007). An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations. Moscow: Eksmo Publ., 960 p. (In Russian.)
- Steedman, I. (1982). Joint production and the wage-rent frontier. Economic Journal, 92, 377–385.
- Stigler, G. (1958). Ricardo and the 93% labor theory of value. The American Economic Review, XLVIII (3).
- Torrens, R. (1815). An essay on the external corn trade. London: J. Hatchard. Reprinted in New York: A.M. Kelley, 1972.
- Toynbee, A. (1898). Industrial Revolution of the 18th Century in England. Moscow: Printing House of A.G. Kolchugin, 331 p. (In Russian.)
- Vidonne, P. (1977). Une Prèsentation Critique de la Rente Ricardienne. Revue Economique, 28, 227–239.
- Voschinin, I. (1882). Presentation and Critical Analysis of the Most Important Economic Theories of Rent. Kharkov: University Printing House, 238 p. (In Russian.)
- West, E. (1815). Essay on the Application of Capital to Land with observations Shewing the Impolicy of any great Restrictions of the Importations of Corn and that the Bounty of 1688 did not Lower the Price of it. London: T. Underwood. Reprinted in Baltimore: The Lord Baltimore Press, 1903. (http://phare.univ-paris1.fr/).
- Yanson, Yu. E. (1864). The Role of Ricardoʼs Rent Theory in the Science of Political Economy: Reasoning for Submission of the Scientific Degree in Political Economy and Statistics by the adjunct professor Grygorets, Agricultural University of Yu. Yanson. Saint Petersburg: Printing House of M. Khan, 184 p. (In Russian.)
- Yatsky, S. A. (2017). D. Ricardoʼs theory of rent and modernity. Yugra State University Bulletin, (2), 43–48. (In Russian.)
- Zhid, Sh., Rist, Sh. (1995). History of Economic Doctrines. Moscow: Ekonomika Publ., 544 p. (In Russian.)
Publisher: Southern Federal University
Founder: Southern Federal University
Founder: Southern Federal University