Economic benefits of tourism: Cultural identity and tourism destinations in the Czech Republic
TERRA ECONOMICUS, 2020, Vol. 18 (no. 2),
Our paper focuses on the economic benefit of tourism by evaluating the compliance between the destination identity and the identity of residents on the example of a selected tourist area. One can see that the identity of the destination is reflected in the product offer and can be found in media messages. The identity of residents was ascertained by a survey. Our research is divided into three main parts. The first part of the research included an analysis of the destination offer within the website and Facebook page. The second part of the research is focused on the analysis of the tourism destination in the media. These two methods are used to analyse the identity of the destination. A group interview was chosen to analyse the identity of residents. The third research was carried out using the focus group method. Our methodical procedure is tested on a case study of a selected destination Toulava (a Czech tourist area located on the border of South and Central Bohemia), however it is designed to be universally usable within tourism destinations. Our results confirmed that the model-defined path for memory destination selection by destination management and its use in the business offer to create product cores works. The high degree of product authenticity has been confirmed. The applied research methodology enabled to obtain relevant outputs. It is not common in general practice that the identity of the destination is examined together with the identity of its residents. The three methods used in this article are less demanding in terms of capacity and cost than the quota sample research. Research can thus be carried out in destinations repeatedly and follow time series.
Citation: Tyslová, I., Abrhám, J., Horváthová, Z., Rubáček, F. (2020). Economic benefits of tourism: Cultural identity and tourism destinations in the Czech Republic. Terra Economicus, 18(2), 139–154. DOI: 10.18522/2073-6606-2020-18-2-139-154
Acknowledgment: This paper is the result of Metropolitan University Prague research project no. 74-03 «Public administration, legal disciplines and industrial property» (2020) based on a grant from the Institutional Fund for the Long-term Strategic Development of Research Organisations.
Keywords: tourism economics; destination management; sustainability; cultural identity
- Abrhám, J., Wang, J. (2017). Novel trends on using ICTS in the modern tourism industry. Czech Journal of Social Sciences, Business and Economics, 6(1), 37–43. https://doi. org/10.24984/cjssbe.2017.6.1.5
- Budil, I. (2013). Mýtus, jazyk a kulturní antropologie. Triton. (In Czech.)
- Burns, P. M. (1999). An Introduction in Tourism and Anthropology. Psychology Press.
- Burns, P. M., Novelli, M. (2006). Tourism and Social Identities: Global Frameworks and Local Realities. Elsevier.
- Čajka, P., Abrhám, J. (2019) Regional Aspects of V4 Countries’ Economic Development Over a Membership Period of 15 Years in the European Union. Slovak Journal of Political Sciences, 19(1), 89–105. https://doi.org/10.34135/sjps.190105
- Černevičiūtė, J., Strazdas, R. (2018). Teamwork management in Creative industries: factors influencing productivity. Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Issues, 6(2), 503–516. http://doi.org/10.9770/jesi.2018.6.2(3)
- Chiabai, A., Platt, S., Strielkowski, W. (2014). Eliciting users‘ preferences for cultural heritage and tourism-related e-services: a tale of three European cities. Tourism Economics, 20(2), 263–277. https://doi.org/10.5367/te.2013.0290
- Eslami, S., Khalifah, Z., Mardani, A., Streimikiene, D. (2018). Impact of noneconomic factors on residents’ support for sustainable tourism development in Langkawi Island, Malaysia. Economics and Sociology, 11(4), 181–197. https://doi.org/10.14254/ 2071-789X.2018/11-4/12
- Gellner, A. (1993). Národy a nacionalismus. Nakladatelství Hříbal. (In Czech.)
- Goeldner, Ch. R., Richie, J. R. (2014). Cestovní ruch. Principy, příklady, trendy. BizBooks. (In Czech.)
- Herget, J., Petrů, Z., Abrhám, J. (2015). City branding and its economic impacts on tourism. Economics and Sociology, 8(1), 119–126. https://doi.org/10.14254/2071789X.2015/8-1/9
- Horáková, H. (2007). Národ, kultura a etnicita v postapartheidní Jižní Africe. Gaudeamus. (In Czech.)
- Horáková, H., Fialová, D. (2014). Transformace venkova: Turismus jako forma rozvoje. Aleš Čeněk Press. (In Czech.)
- Huimin, G., Ryan, Ch. (2011). Tourism destination evolution: a comparative study of Shi Cha Hai Beijing Hutong businesses´ and residents´ attitudes. Journal of Sustainable
- Tourism, 20 (1). https://doi.org/10.1080/09669582.2011.610511
- Huntington, S. (2001). Střet civilizací, boj kultur a proměna světového řádu. Tybka Publishers. (In Czech.)
- Jandourek, J. (2001). Sociologický slovník. Portál. (In Czech.)
- Koilo, V., Ryabushka, L., Kubakh, T., Halik, J. (2020). Assessment of government debt security of emerging markets: theory and practice. Investment Management and Financial Innovations, 17(1), 35–48. https://doi.org/10.21511/imfi.17(1).2020.04
- Linhart, J., Petrusek, M., Vodáková, A., Maříková, H. (1996). Velký sociologický slovník. Karolinum. (In Czech.)
- Lisin, E., Shuvalova, D., Volkova, I., Strielkowski, W. (2018). Sustainable development of regional power systems and the consumption of electric energy. Sustainability, 10(4), 1111. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10041111
- Maitah, M., Kuzmenko, E., Smutka, L. (2016). Real effective exchange rate of rouble and competitiveness of Russian agrarian producers. Economies, 4(3), 12. https://doi. org/10.3390/economies4030012
- McCannell, D. (2011). The Ethic of Sight-Seeing. University of California Press.
- Naglova, Z., Boberova, B., Horakova, T., Smutka, L. (2017). Statistical analysis of factors influencing the results of enterprises in dairy industry. Agricultural Economics-Zemedelska Ekonomika, 63(6), 259-270. https://doi.org/10.17221/353/2015-AGRICECON
- Oh, H., Fiore, A. M., Jeoung, M. (2007). Measuring experience economy concepts:
- Tourism applications. Journal of Travel Research, 46(2), 119–132. https://doi. org/10.1177/0047287507304039
- Paasi, A. (1986). The institutionalization of regions: a theoretical framework for understanding the emergence of regions and the constitution of regional identity. Fennia,
- 164(1). https://fennia.journal.fi/article/view/9052
- Palatková, M. (2011). Marketingový management destinací. Grada. (In Czech.)
- Pavolová, H., Bakalár, T., Emhemed, E. M. A., Hajduová, Z., Pafčo, M. (2019). Model of sustainable regional development with implementation of brownfield areas. Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Issues, 6(3), 1088–1100. http://doi.org/10.9770/jesi.2019.6.3(2)
- Peeters, P., Higham, J., Cohen, S., Eijgelaar, E., Gössling, S. (2019). Desirable tourism transport futures. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 27(2), 173–188. https://doi.org/10.1080 /09669582.2018.1477785
- Radovic, D., Strielkowski, W., Wang, J., Cepel, M., Rausser, G. (2017) Economic analysis of sustainable tourism: a case study of Nottingham. Transformations in Business & Economics, 16(2B), 703–714.
- Richards, G. (2007). Cultural Tourism, Global and Local Perspectives. Atlas.
- Rýsová, L., Dobrýk, M. (2013). Regional development – basic theoretical approaches. Politické Vedy 16 (2). http://www.politickevedy.fpvmv.umb.sk/userfiles/file/2_2013/ RYSOVA_DOBRIK.pdf. (In Czech.)
- Šauer, M., Vystoupil, J., Holešínská, A. (2015). Cestovní ruch. Masarykova univerzita Press. (In Czech.)
- Shevyakova, A., Munsh, E., Arystan, M. (2019). Information support for the development of tourism for the diversification of the economy of Kazakhstan. Insights into Regional Development, 1(2), 138–154. https://doi.org/10.9770/ird.2019.1.2(4)
- Strielkowski, W., Čábelková, I. (2015). Religion, culture, and tax evasion: Evidence from the Czech Republic. Religions, 6(2), 657–669. https://doi.org/10.3390/rel6020657
- Svobodová, M. (2016). On the Concept of Legislative Acts in the European Union Law. The Lawyer Quarterly, 6(1). https://tlq.ilaw.cas.cz/index.php/tlq/article/view/209/0
- Van der Schyff, T., Meyer, D., Ferreira, L. (2019). An analysis of impact of the tourism sector as a viable response to South Africa’s growth and development challenges. Journal of International Studies, 12(1), 168–183. https://doi.org/10.14254/2071-8330.2019/12-1/11
- Vasylchak, S., Halachenko, A. (2016). Theoretical basis for the development of resort services: regional aspect. International Economics Letters, 5(2), 54–62. https://doi. org/10.24984/iel.2016.5.2.3
- Xue, L., Kerstetter, D., Hunt, C. (2017). Tourism development and changing rural identity in China. Annals of Tourism Research, 66, 170–182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2017.07.016
- Zelenka, J., Pásková, M. (2012). Výkladový slovník cestovního ruchu. Praha: Linde. (In Czech.)
- Zhang, C., Xiao, H. (2014). Destination development in China: towards an effective model of explanation. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 22(2), 214–233. https://doi.org/10.10 80/09669582.2013.839692
Publisher: Southern Federal University
Founder: Southern Federal University
Founder: Southern Federal University