SFeDu
  • Home
  • Issues
  • No 1.1
  • Ivan Pososhkov as the mirror of the Russian modernization (to the 290 anniversary of the Russian economic science)

Ivan Pososhkov as the mirror of the Russian modernization (to the 290 anniversary of the Russian economic science)

TERRA ECONOMICUS, , Vol. 11 (no. 1.1),
p. 95-100

Written almost 300 years ago, «A treatise on poverty and wealth» by I.T. Pososhkov was the first Russian paper intentionally devoted to the complex analysis of socio-economic issues. Conventionally included among the mercantilists, I.T. Pososhkov is rather considered to be compared with the authors of «governor’s literature» of the Eastern Societies characterized by the Asiatic mode of production. Likewise the authors of «Kuan-tzu» and «Arthashastra», I.T. Pososhkov dealt with the macroeconomic issues from the viewpoint of state’s concern. In «A treatise on poverty and wealth» the author’s conception of power-property institutions’ normativity had been reflected, along with the idea of subjection of private property institutions to the power-property institutions. A treatise by I.T. Pososhkov highlights one of the features of the modernization process in Russia — a tendency to fight against the negative occurrence of the market economy by means of etatism reinforcement, which frequently results in excessive «state failure» compared to «market failure».

Keywords: history of economic thought; Asiatic mode of production; power-property; mercantilism; institutionalism; modernization; catch-up growth; alienation between the government and the population

References:
  • Kafengauz B.B. (1937). I.T. Pososhkov: life and socio-economic views / In Pososhkov I.T. A treatise on poverty and wealth. Moscow: The State Socio-Economic Publishing. (In Russian).
  • Kafengauz B.B. (1951). I.T. Pososhkov and socio-political literature in the time of Peter I / In Pososhkov I.T. «A treatise on poverty and wealth» and other papers. Moscow: Academy of Sciences of the USSR Publ. (In Russian).
  • Kirdina S.G. (2003). Continuity in the Russian economic thoughts — from Ivan Pososhkov to the institutionalism / In The essays on the history of the Russian economic thought. Abalkin L.I. (ed.). Moscow: Nauka Publ. Available at: http://www.kirdina.ru/doc/public/22august03/1.pdf. (In Russian).
  • Nureev R.M. and Latov Yu.V. (2011). When and why have the paths of Russia and Western Europe diverged? A view from institutional economic theory. Mir Rossii, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 24–67. (In Russian).
  • Platonov D.N. (1989). Ivan Pososhkov. Moscow: Ekonomika Publ. (In Russian).
  • Platonov D.N. (1997). Origins of economic science in Russia. The first half of the XVIII century. Abstract of dissertation, Dr. econ. sci. Moscow. Available at: http://www.dissercat.com/content/nachaloekonomicheskoi-nauki-v-rossii-pervaya-polovina-xviii-v#ixzz2I0oYmTQd. (In Russian).
  • Plekhanov G.V. (1925). History of Russian public thought. Vol. 2 / In Plekhanov G.V. Composed papers. Т. XXI. Moscow – Leningrad: The State Publishing. (In Russian).
  • Pososhkov I.T. (1951). «A treatise on poverty and wealth» and other papers. Moscow: Academy of Sciences of the USSR Publ. (In Russian).
Publisher: Southern Federal University
Founder: Southern Federal University
ISSN: 2073-6606