SFeDu

IDEAS OF CAMERALISM IN ECONOMIC POLICY OF CANCRIN

TERRA ECONOMICUS, , Vol. 17 (no. 4),

The paper deals with the history of economic thought of Russia and the domestic economic history of the early XIX century. The subject of study in this paper is the economic policy of the Minister of Finance of Russia E.F. Cancrin. The author’s purpose is to prove the hypothesis that the Minister of Finance was a supporter of the economic doctrine of cameralism. At the same time, the article focuses not on the economic views of Cancrin, but on the analysis of activities through which he implemented his policies. This approach appears rather new to investigate the economic policy of this outstanding political figure during the reign of Alexander I and Nicholas I. In early XIX century, there was a unique situation in Russia, namely parallel money circulation with two equal currencies, banknotes and silver coins, simultaneously operated; exchange rate between them was established on the stock exchange. On the one hand, the parallel circulation destabilized the monetary economy of the country, but on the other, contributed to the replenishment of the state Treasury with the necessary funds in precious metals. It is the advantage of dual circulation to finance the budget prevented Cancrin from eliminating this unconventional phenomenon. His actions were guided more by practical considerations than by the theoretical patterns popular at the time. This policy met the criteria of cameralism. The spirit of cameralism corresponded to the policy of protectionism, the supporter of which was Cancrin. All this allows the author to conclude that Cancrin was a cameralist.
Citation: Dubyansky, A. N. (2019). Ideas of cameralism in economic policy of Cancrin. Terra Economicus, 17(4), 95–112. DOI: 10.23683/2073-6606-2019-17-4-95-112

Keywords: Cameralism; Cancrin E.F.; parallel monetary circulation; banknotes; financial policy

References:
  • Arsentev, N. M. (2017). The Dilemma of industrialization in Russia in the XIX century. Russian Journal of Economic History, (3), 31–49. (In Russian.)
  • Bezobrazov, V. P. (1867). On the influence of economic science on public life in modern Europe. Moscow: University typography Katkov i K°. (In Russian.)
  • Blaug, M. (1994). Economic Theory in Retrospect. Moscow: Delo Ltd. (In Russian.)
  • Blyumin, I. G. (1940). Essays on economic thought in Russia in the first half of the XIX century. Мoscow – Leningrad: Publ. by the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. (In Russian.)
  • Bozheryanov, I. N. (1897). Count E. F. Cancrin, his life, literary works and twenty years of control activities by the Ministry of Finance. Saint Petersburg: Publ. by gr. I. V. Kankrin. (In Russian.)
  • Brzheskiy, N. K. (1884). The State debts of Russia. Saint Petersburg: Type lithography of A. M. Volf. (In Russian.)
  • Canсrin, E. F. (1845). The economy of human society and the state of finance. Saint Petersburg. (In Russian.)
  • Canсrin, E. F. (1894). Essays on political economy and finance, in 3 vols. Saint Petersburg: Typography of the Academy of Sciences. (In Russian.)
  • Canсrin, E. F. (2018a). World wealth and national economy. Moscow: Publishing house «Delo» by RANEPA. (In Russian.)
  • Canсrin, E. F. (2018b). A brief review of the Russian finance, pp. 313–482 / In: Canсrin, E. F. World wealth and national economy. Moscow: Publishing house «Delo» by RANEPA. (In Russian.)
  • Dubyansky, A. (2013). Parallel Money in the Russian Economic Literature of the XIX–XX centuries. Voprosy Ekonomiki, (7), 111–123. (In Russian.)
  • Dubyansky, A. N. (2012a). Financial Reform in Russia at the Beginning of XIX Century. St. Petersburg University Journal of Economic Studies, (2), 91–98. (In Russian.)
  • Dubyansky, A. N. (2012b). Folksy mess in the monetary circulation of Russia in the early XIX century. ECO, (10), 179–188. (In Russian.)
  • Dubyansky, A. N. (2018). E. F. Cancrin – Life and Activity, pp. 15–58 / In: Canсrin, E. F. World wealth and national economy. Moscow: Publishing house «Delo» by RANEPA. (In Russian.)
  • Dubyansky, A. N. (2019). Michael A. Balugiansky as a scientist-economist and politician, pp. 67–76 / In: Economic theory at St. Petersburg University: The way in 200 years. Collection of articles dedicated to the 200th anniversary of the Department of political economy (economic theory) of St. Petersburg State University. Saint Petersburg: Publ. Of St. Petersburg State University. (In Russian.)
  • Er-Ents, A. K. (2014). Russian numismatics or Auxiliary tables for the calculation of money. Moscow: Kniga po Trebovaniyu Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Goryushkina, N. E. (2013). «I’ll give up the payoff, but tell me what to replace them»: on the return of payoffs to the Ministry of E.F. Cancrin. Proceedings of the Southwest State University, (6-1), 202–206. (In Russian.)
  • Justi, J. H. G. (1772). The Foundation of the Power and Welfare of the Kingdoms, or a Detailed Outline of all Knowledge Relating to the State Police, Vol. 1. Saint Petersburg: Typography of the Imperial Academy of Sciences. (In Russian.)
  • Katykhova, L. A., Bokarev, Yu. P., Bokhanov, A. N. et al. (1994). Russian ruble. Two centuries of history. XIX–XX centuries. Moscow: Progress-Akademiya Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Keynes, J. M. (2007). The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money. Moscow: Eksmo Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Kingston-Mann, E. (1999). In The Search of the True West: Culture, Economic, and Problems of Russian Development. Princeton University Press.
  • Lebedev, V. A. (1896). Count Yegor Frantsovich Cancrin. Saint Petersburg: Typography of the General Administration (Tipographiya glavnogo upravleniya udelov). (In Russian.)
  • Malyshev, A. I., Tarankov, V. I., Smirennyj, I. N. (1991). Paper money in Russia and USSR. Moscow: Finansy i statistika Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Marney, L. P. (2009). D. A. Guriev and financial policy of Russia in the early XIX century. Moscow: Idrik Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Military Statistical Collection (1871). Vol. 4. Russia. Saint Petersburg.
  • Monday, Ch. (2014). National Identity and Economics: Georg Cancrin in the «Russian School» of Economic Thought. St. Petersburg university journal of economic studies, (3), 86–112. (In Russian.)
  • Monday, Ch. (2018). Cameralism as the source of the research of E. F. Cancrin, pp. 59–81 / In: Canсrin, E. F. World wealth and national economy. Moscow: Publishing house «Delo» by RANEPA. (In Russian.)
  • Mukhamedina, Sh. (2012). Lessons of reforms: Minister of Finance E. F. Cancrin and his opponents. Bulletin of the Financial University, (5), 62–71. (In Russian.)
  • Pintner, W. M. (1967). Russian economic policy under Nicholas I. New York: Cornell University Press.
  • Pokrovskiy, V. I. (1901). On the stability of the active balance of Russian foreign trade. Saint Petersburg: Typography of I. Goldberg. (In Russian.)
  • Quesnay, F. (2008). Analysis of the Economic Table, pp. 350–357 / In: P. N. Klykin (ed.) Kene F., Tyurgo A. R. Zh., Dyupon le Nemur P. S. The physiocrats. Selected economic works. Moscow: Eksmo Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Raskov, D. E. (2019). Cameralism in Eighteenth-Century Russia: Reform, Translations and Academic Mobility, pp. 274‒301 / In: E. Nokkala and N. Miller (eds.) Cameralism and the Enlightenment: Happiness, Governance, and Reform in Transnational Perspective. New York, London: Routledge.
  • Raskov, D. E. (2008). Monetary Reform of Alexey Mikhailovich and the Problem of Trust. St. Petersburg University Journal of Economic Studies, (3), 69–80. (In Russian.)
  • Sementovskiy, R. I. (2012). E. F. Cancrin. His life and public activities. Moscow: Kniga po Trebovaniyu Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Shepelev, L. E. (2001). E. F. Cancrin and commercial and industrial policy of the financial Department (1823–1844), pp. 145–226 / In: L. E. Shepelev (ed.) English embankment, 4. Yearbook. Saint Petersburg. (In Russian.)
  • Shvanebah, P. Kh. (1901). Monetary change and national economy. Saint Petersburg: Stasyulevich Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Sonnenfels, J. von (1787). The Initial Foundation of the Police or the Welfare. Moscow: University typography of N. Novikov. (In Russian.)
  • Stein, V. M. (1948). Essays on the Development of Russian Socio-economic Thought of XIX– XX centuries. Leningrad: Publ. and Typography of the Leningrad State Order of the Lenin University. (In Russian.)
  • Storkh, P. A. (1868). Materials for the History of the National Currency in Russia from 1653 to 1840. Saint Petersburg: Printing House of V. Golovin. (In Russian.)
  • Sudeykin, V. T. (1891). Restoration of metal circulation in Russia (1839–1843). Moscow: Editorship of the Law Bulletin (Redaktsiya yuridicheskogo vestnika). (In Russian.)
  • Svyatlovskiy, V. V. (1913). Essays on the history of economic views in the West and in Russia, Part 1. Saint Petersburg: Typography «Gerold». (In Russian.)
  • Sсhumpeter, J. A. (2004). History of Economic Analysis, in 3 vols. Vol. 1. Saint Petersburg: Ekonomicheskaya Shkola Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Tugan-Baranovskiy, M. M. (1917). Paper money and metal. Petrograd: Legal book warehouse «Pravo». (In Russian.)
  • Zwainert, J. (2008). History of Economic Thought in Russia. 1805–1905. Moscow: HSE Publishing House. (In Russian.)
Publisher: Southern Federal University
Founder: Southern Federal University
ISSN: 2073-6606