SFeDu

N.I. Sieber as an armchair economic anthropologist

TERRA ECONOMICUS, , Vol. 14 (no. 4),

Sieber is known primarily as a talented interpreter of Ricardo and Marx. However, in his intellectual biography there is the second significant contribution that hasn’t been adequately discussed from modern positions yet. Sieber wrote his «Essays on the Primitive Economic Culture» (1883) (more than five hundred pages treatise) during the second phase of his life – emigration to Switzerland. The article attempts to evaluate this work, answering the following questions. What is the contribution of Sieber to the economic anthropology? What is the place of Sieber in classical discussions that took place within the framework of economic anthropology? What Sieber meant by economic culture? What are the results he has come to and what are the methods he used? How Sieber studied the synthesis of history, law, society and the economy? What is the additional value of his biography in capturing Sieber’s ideas? The paper shows that Sieber can be described as an armchair scholar. Marcell Mauss is the closest example. Sieber examines the elements of the economic culture of primitive society, skilfully using multiple eyewitnesses. He is focusing also on the archival residuals in later civilizations and even in the present. The cases provided by Sieber made think he is not so close to an evolutionary approach, so fashionable in the nineteenth century. He describes the institutions and the structure of labor relations, production, consumption and redistribution. Particular attention is paid to his views on cooperation, gift and property. Thus, Sieber fills the gap in the Marxist doctrine as well as he outlines the important generalizations, that in the twenties century formed the new discipline of economic anthropology.

Keywords: N.I. Sieber; armchair scholar; economic anthropology; primitive society; gift; cooperation; property

References:
  • Engels F. (1989). The Origin of the Family, private property and the state. Moscow: Izdatelstvo politicheskoy literatury Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Eriksen T.H. (2014). What is anthropology? Moscow: Higher School of Economics Publishing House. (In Russian.)
  • Gerber D. (2015). Debt: the first 5,000 years of history. Moscow: Ad Marginem Press. (In Russian.)
  • Kovalevsky M. (1879). Communal land ownership: the causes, course and consequences of its decay. Part one. Moscow: Miller typography. (In Russian.)
  • Malinowski B. (2004). Argonauts of the Western Pacific. Moscow: ROSSPEN Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Marx K. and Engels F. (1960). Works, second edition. Moscow: Gosudarstvennoe izdanie politicheskoy literatury Publ., vol. 23. (In Russian.)
  • Marx K. and Engels F. (1964). Works, second edition. Moscow: Gosudarstvennoe izdanie politicheskoy literatury Publ., vol. 35. (In Russian.)
  • Mauss M. (1996). Essay on the gift. Society. Exchange. Personality. Moscow: Eastern Literature Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Mikhailovsky N.K. (1883). New books: Sieber N.I. «Essays on Primitive Economic Culture». Otechestvennye zapiski, no. 12, December, pp. 241–245. (In Russian.)
  • Naumov D.B. (1930). Nikolai Sieber. Kharkov: Proletarian Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Reuel A.L. (1956). Russian economic thought 60–70-ies of the XIX century and Marxism. Moscow: Gospolitizdat Publ., 287–342. (In Russian.)
  • Rezul’ Ya.G. (1931). N.I. Sieber (bibliography). Katorga i ssylka, no. 7, pp. 132–174. (In Russian.)
  • Sahlins M. (1999). The Stone Age Economics. Moscow: OGI Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Schrader H. (1999). Economic anthropology. St. Petersburg: Oriental Studies. (In Russian.)
  • Sieber N.I. (1871). The theory of value and capital of Ricardo with some of the later additions and clarifications. Kiev. (In Russian.)
  • Sieber N.I. (1873). The Report of Nikolai Sieber, Master of Political Economy, on his stay abroad from January to October 1872. Universitetskie izvestiya, August, no. 8. Kiev. (In Russian.)
  • Sieber N.I. (1880). Review of a book of Kovalevsky «Community land tenure, causes, course and consequences of its expansion». Yuridicheskii vestnik, August, pp. 673–692. (in Russian)
  • Sieber N.I. (1883). Essays on the Primitive Economic Culture. Moscow: K.T. Soldatenkov Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Sieber N.I. (1923). Essays on the Primitive Economic Culture. Odessa. (In Russian.)
  • Sieber N.I. (1937). Essays on Primitive Economic Culture. Moscow. (In Russian.)
  • Sieber N.I. (1959). Selected economic works in two volumes. Moscow: Izdatelstvo socialno-ekonomicheskoy literatury Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Tsagolov N.A. (1953). On the economic views of N.I. Sieber. Problemy ekonomiki, no. 9. (In Russian.)
  • Zuev G. (1898). In memory of N.I. Sieber. Odesskie novosti, April 29, no. 4269. (In Russian.)
  • Allisson F. (2015). Value and Prices in Russian Economic Thought: A Journey Inside the Russian Synthesis, 1890–1920. London: Routledge (Routledge Studies in the History of Economics no 173).
  • Bancroft H. (1874–1875). The Native Races of the Pacific States, vols. 1–5. London.
  • Burmeister (1853). Reise nach Brasilien. Berlin.
  • Carrier G.J. (ed.) (2005). A Handbook of Economic Anthropology. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
  • Creese M. (1998). Early women chemist in Russia: Anna Volkova, Iuliia Lermontova, and Nadezhda Ziber-Shumova. Bulletin for the History of Chemistry, no. 21, pp. 19–24.
  • De Hilaire A. (1830). Voayge au Brésil. Partie, I. Paris.
  • De Rochas V. (1882). La Nouvelle Calédonie. Paris.
  • Guelfat I. (1970). Aux sources de la marxologie authentique: N. I. Ziber. L’homme et la société, no. 17(1), pp. 141–148.
  • Gumilla J. (1758). Histoire de l’Orénoque. Avignon.
  • Herskovits M. (1952). Economic Anthropology. A study in Comparative Economics. N.Y.: Alfred Knopf.
  • Maine H.S. (1874). Lectures on early history of institutions. London.
  • Semper K. (1869). Die Philippinnen und ihre Bewhner. Würzburg.
  • Sieber N.I. (2011). Marx’s economic theory. Research in the History of Economic Thought and Methodology, no. 27, pp. 155–190. Transl. by J.D. White.
  • Simpson Th. (1843). Narrative on the discoveries on the North coast of America. London.
  • Smith D. N. (2001). The spectral reality of value: Sieber, Marx, and commodity fetishism. Research in Political Economy, no. 19, pp. 47–66.
  • Sproat G.M. (1868). Scenes and Studies of savage life. London.
  • White J.D. (2009). Nikolai Sieber: The First Russian Marxist. Revolutionary Russia, no. 22(1), pp. 1–20.
Publisher: Southern Federal University
Founder: Southern Federal University
ISSN: 2073-6606