SFeDu
  • Home
  • Issues
  • No 2
  • Alternative assessment of the altman model for gazprom group for 2016: facts and hypotheses

ALTERNATIVE ASSESSMENT OF THE ALTMAN MODEL FOR GAZPROM GROUP FOR 2016: FACTS AND HYPOTHESES

TERRA ECONOMICUS, , Vol. 16 (no. 2),

The author continues to calculate the Altman model for the largest Russian companies. This time it is calculated for Gazprom Group. The calculations are made using the frameworks of the traditional model and the model for emerging markets, currently applied to Russia. The model based on the accounting statements of the Gazprom Group shows its unsatisfactory financial position. The fixed assets of the company are recalculated, showing that fixed assets are underestimated 7,01 times. The Altman coefficient, taking into account the replacement cost of fixed assets due to the traditional model, shows that the company is close to bankruptcy. A hypothesis is put forward that the company has offshore accounts which are used as a pledge for creditors. The size of these accounts is calculated. At the same time, the Group’s revenue, fixed assets and profits are specified. The Altman coefficient is calculated considering the offshore accounts and new data on revenue, fixed assets and profit. The Group’s bankruptcy is observed, although the Altman coefficient turned out to be higher than in case of calculation without considering offshore accounts. Only the Altman model for developing countries shows that Gazprom Group is in the gray zone. The impact of the tax burden on the company’s standing is analyzed. The reasons that force Russian companies to distort accounting and statistical reporting explaining the possibilities of these distortions are analyzed. Based on the earlier analysis of Altman’s model for Rosneft and Gazprom Group, the conclusion on the difficult economic situation in Russia is made which is caused by unsatisfactory economic activity and poor institutional environment. It is concluded that Altman model for developing countries is more preferable. Ways to improve the fixed assets statistics are proposed.

Keywords: Gazprom Group; Russian economy; alternative estimates; Altman coefficient; reasons of financial statements distortion in Russia; reasons of statistical reporting distortion in Russia

References:
  • Altman, E. I. (2005). An emerging market credit scoring system for corporate bonds // Emerging Market Review, 6. [Op. cit.: Lvova, N. A. (2015). Financial diagnostics of Russian enterprises using the Altman model for developed and emerging markets // Financial analytics: problems and solutions, 8.]
  • Fomin, D. A. and Khanin, G. I. (2017). Dynamics of the fixed capital of the Russian economy in the post-Soviet period (1992–2015). Problemy Prognozirovaniya [Problems of forecasting], 4. (In Russian.)
  • Industry of the USSR (1987). Statistical collection. Moscow, 286 p. (In Russian.)
  • Khanin, G. I. (2018). Russian industrial companies and creditors are captivated by sly figures (on the example of the oil industry): facts and hypotheses (In press). Brief version: Khanin, G. I. (2018). The Altman formula without sly figures (on the example of the oil industry). Bankovskoe Delo [Banking], 3, 20‒22. (In Russian.)
  • Khanin, G. I. and Fomin, D. A. (2017). Post-Soviet Society and Russian Macroeconomic Statistics. Mir Rossii, 2, 63‒81. (In Russian.)
  • Lavrushin, O. I., Afanasyeva, O. I., and Koriyenko, S. P. (2011). Banking: a modern credit system. Moscow.
  • Lvova, N. A. (2015). Financial diagnostics of the enterprise. Moscow. (In Russian.)
  • Rosstat (2017). Russian Statistical Yearbook. Moscow. (In Russian.)
  • Zhavoronkova, E. N. (2015). Analysis of the tax burden in the oil industry by major Russian and foreign companies. Public administration. Electronic bulletin, 50. (In Russian.)
Publisher: Southern Federal University
Founder: Southern Federal University
ISSN: 2073-6606