SFeDu
  • Home
  • Issues
  • No 2
  • Russian society of shipping and trade: establishment, operation and prospects of development (1856–1864)

Russian society of shipping and trade: establishment, operation and prospects of development (1856–1864)

TERRA ECONOMICUS, , Vol. 13 (no. 2),
p. 106-130

Transport business was a significant factor in the economic development of the Russian Empire. This study reveals the importance and problems associated with the efficiency of the major transport corporation as an example of empirical data Russian Steam Navigation and Trading Company (in 1856–1864). Particular attention is paid to the analysis of institutional and organizational innovations affecting the efficiency of the company in the social and political conditions of the Russian Empire. The central part of the research is an analysis of the historical evolution of the Russian Steam Navigation and Trading Company as a mechanism of the organizational coordination of the private, public and state interests which is used for attracting the necessary resources (intellectual, financial, informational, productive, etc.) for the implementation of the outlook of accelerated development of the regional economy of the Black Sea region. The article contains a number of new approaches to the explanation of the institutional aspects of the company. It shows the structure of ownership and control, orientation relationships among managers and shareholders, the process of development and implementation of strategic and operational plans.

Keywords: Russian Empire; Russian Society of Shipping and Trade; Black Sea region; ownership; management; shareholders’ interests

References:
  • Draft amendment of certain sections of the Charter of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade, approved by the Board and submitted for approval by the General Meeting of Shareholders on February 21, 1865 [Proekt izmeneniya nekotorykh paragrafov Ustava Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli, odobrennyy Sovetom i predstavlennyy na utverzhdenie obshchego sobraniya gg. aktsionerov 21 fevralya 1865 g.] (1865). Saint-Petersburg: Tovarishchestvo «Obshchestvennaya polza» Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Efendi-Zade D.M. (1980). Russian merchant fleet at the end of XIX – early XX centuries [Russkiy morskoy torgovyy flot na rubezhe XIX–XX vv.] Historical notes[Istoricheskie zapiski], vol. 105. Moscow: Izd-vo Akad. nauk SSSR, pp. 255–272. (In Russian.)
  • Explanatory note to the report of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade, 1861 [Ob’yasnitelnaya zapiska k otchetu Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli za 1861 god] (1862). Saint-Petersburg: Tovarishchestvo «Obshchestvennaya polza» Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Explanatory note to the report of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade, 1862 [Ob’yasnitelnaya zapiska k otchetu Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli za 1862 god] (1863). Saint-Petersburg: Tovarishchestvo «Obshchestvennaya polza» Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Explanatory note to the report of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade, 1863 [Ob’yasnitelnaya zapiska k otchetu Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli za 1863 god] (1864). Saint-Petersburg: Tovarishchestvo «Obshchestvennaya polza» Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Explanatory note to the report of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade, 1864 [Ob’yasnitelnaya zapiska k otchetu Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli za 1864 god] (1865). Saint-Petersburg: Tovarishchestvo «Obshchestvennaya polza» Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Grebtsova I.S. and Miroshnichenko V.A. (1997). Sources of studying the history of joint-stock company, the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade [Istochniki izucheniya istorii aktsionernoy kompanii ROPiT]. Notes of the Historical faculty of the Odessa State University named after I.I. Mechnikov [Zapiski іstorichnogo fakultetu Odeskogo derzhavnogo unіversitetu іm. І.І. Mechnikova], Issue 4. Odesa, pp. 166–172. (In Russian.)
  • Ilovayskiy S.I. (1907). Historical sketch on the fiftieth anniversary of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade [Istoricheskiy ocherk pyatidesyatiletiya Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli]. Odessa: Aktsionernoe Yuzhnorusskoe obshchestvo pechatnogo dela Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Joint-venture companies in Russia [Aktsionerno-paevye predpriyatiya Rossii] (1917). Moscow: A.P. Poplavskiy Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Journal of General Meeting of Shareholders of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade, which received Imperial approval [Zhurnal obshchego sobraniya aktsionerov Vysochayshe utverzhdennogo Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli] (1865). Saint-Petersburg. (In Russian.)
  • Konovalov Yu.P. (1981). Russia’s merchant marine fleet in the era of industrial capitalism, 60s – medium 90s of the XIX century. (Based on the data on theAzov-Black Seabasin) [Morskoy torgovyy flot Rossii v period promyshlennogo kapitalizma, 60-e – seredina 90-kh gg., XIX v. (Na materialakh Chernomor.-Azov. basseyna)]. Thesis abstract of the Dissertation submitted in fulfillment of PhD in History [Avtoref. dis. … kand. ist. nauk] (07.00.02). Odessa. (In Russian.)
  • Lemachko B.V. and Yarovoy V.V. (1991). A brief outline of the activities of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade [Kratkiy ocherk deyatel’nosti Russkogo Obshchestva Parokhodstva i Torgovli]. Gangut, no. 2, pp. 77–85. (In Russian.)
  • Morozan V.V. (2014). Business life in the South of Russia in XIX – early XX century. [Delovaya zhizn’ na Yuge Rossii v XIX – nachale XX veka]. Saint-Petersburg: Dmitriy Bulanin Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Opinions on the transformation of administration of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade, served as the basis for drawing up the final suggestions on this subject [Mneniya o preobrazovanii upravleniya delami Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli, posluzhivshie osnovaniem dlya sostavleniya okonchatelnogo predpolozheniya po etomu predmetu] (1861). Saint-Petersburg: Tovarishchestvo «Obshchestvennaya polza» Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Perozio N. (1862). The project of the main foundations of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade [Proekt glavnykh osnovaniy organizatsii Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli]. Saint-Petersburg: N. Grech’s Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Report of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade which received Imperial approval, August 3, 1856 – December 31, 1857 [Otchet Vysochayshe utverzhdennogo Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli s 3 avgusta 1856 goda po 31 dekabrya 1857 goda] (1858). Saint-Petersburg: I. Shumakher’s and L. Seryakov’ Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Report of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade which received Imperial approval, 1858 [Otchet Vysochayshe utverzhdennogo Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli za 1858 god] (1859). SaintPetersburg: I. Shumakher’s Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Report of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade which received Imperial approval, 1859 [Otchet Vysochayshe utverzhdennogo Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli za 1859 god] (1860). SaintPetersburg: Torgovyi dom «S. Strugovshchikov, G. Pokhitonov, N. Vodov i K°» Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Report of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade which received Imperial approval, 1860 [Otchet Vysochayshe utverzhdennogo Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli za 1860 god] (1861). SaintPetersburg: Torgovyi dom «S. Strugovshchikov, G. Pokhitonov, N. Vodov i K°» Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Report of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade which received Imperial approval, 1862 [Otchet Vysochayshe utverzhdennogo Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli za 1862 god] (1863). SaintPetersburg: Tovarishchestvo «Obshchestvennaya polza» Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Report of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade which received Imperial approval, 1863 [Otchet Vysochayshe utverzhdennogo Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli za 1863 god] (1864). SaintPetersburg: Tovarishchestvo «Obshchestvennaya polza» Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Report of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade which received Imperial approval, 1864 [Otchet Vysochayshe utverzhdennogo Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli za 1864 god] (1865). SaintPetersburg: Tovarishchestvo «Obshchestvennaya polza» Typography. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA (Russian State Historical Archive) [RGIA (Rossiyskiy gosudarstvennyy istoricheskiy arkhiv)]. F. 107. Op.1. D.1. On the establishment of the Society [Ob uchrezhdenii Obshchestva]. 1856. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.107. Op.1. D.2. On the General Meeting of Shareholders. 1856 [Ob obshchem sobranii aktsionerov]. 1856. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F. 678. Op.1. D. 1382. Note [by Ilovaisky] on the history of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade (establishment and its first years of existence) [Zapiska [Ilovayskogo] po istorii Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli (uchrezhdenie ego i pervye gody sushchestvovaniya)]. 1904. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.107. Op.1. D.10. Considerations about steamship communications [Soobrazheniya po ustroystvu parokhodnykh soobshcheniy]. 1856. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.107. Op.1. D.13. About subscription to shares [O podpiske na aktsii]. 1856. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.107. Op.1. D.132. On the General Meeting of Shareholders on March 4, 1862 [Ob obshchem sobranii aktsionerov 4 marta]. 1862. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.107. Op.1. D.14. The initial correspondence on the establishment of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade, presented to the Board by the founder of the Society of His Majesty Suites, Rear Admiral Nikolai Andreyevich Arcas [Pervonachal’naya perepiska po uchrezhdeniyu Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli, predstavlennaya pravleniyu uchreditelem Obshchestva Svity Ego Velichestva kontr-admiralom Nikolaem Andreevichem Arkasom]. 1856. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.107. Op.1. D.151. On the General Meeting of Shareholders on July 29, 1862 [Ob obshchem sobranii gg. aktsionerov 29 iyulya]. 1862. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.107. Op.1. D.16. On the Morton’s boathouse and on all of the buildings in Sevastopol [O Mortonovom ellinge i voobshche o postroykakh v Sevastopole]. 1857. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.107. Op.1. D.17. On the steamships bought from different persons [O kuplennykh parokhodakh u raznykh lits]. 1857. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.107. Op.1. D.186. On the purchase of shares of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade from V.A. Kokorev [O pokupke aktsiy ROPiT u V.A. Kokoreva]. 1863. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.107. Op.1. D.188. On the members of the Board [O chlenakh pravleniya]. 1863. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.107. Op.1. D.192. On the General Meeting of Shareholders on April 21, 1863 [Ob obshchem sobranii gg. aktsionerov 21 aprelya]. 1863. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.107. Op.1. D.219. On the General Meeting of Shareholders on April 22, 1864 [Ob obshchem sobranii gg. aktsionerov 22 aprelya]. 1864. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.107. Op.1. D.226. On the General Meeting of Shareholders on February 21, 1865 [Ob obshchem sobranii gg. aktsionerov 21 fevralya]. 1865. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.107. Op.1. D.240. On the General Meeting of Shareholders on April, 25 1865 [Ob obshchem sobranii gg. aktsionerov 25 aprelya]. 1865. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.107. Op.1. D.2561. Review of the life of the Society for 50 years (in financial terms) [Obzor zhizni Obshchestva za 50 let (v finansovom otnoshenii)]. 1907. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.107. Op.1. D.3. On the Board of directors [O direktorakh pravleniya]. 1856. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.107. Op.1. D.5. About the communication between the Kerch and Taman [O soobshchenii mezhdu Kerch’yu i Taman’yu]. 1856. (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.107. Op.1. D.9. On the carriage of goods and passengers in 1856 and 1857 [O perevozke gruzov i passazhirov v 1856 i 1857 gg.] (In Russian.)
  • RSHA. F.678. Op.1. D.1290. Letter of E.S. Ilovaiskaya to A.E. Molchanov on transferring of the right to vote in elections at general meetings of shareholders ща the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade, and on the book «History of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade for 50 years of its existence» [Pis’mo E.S. Ilovayskoy A.E. Molchanovu o peredache emu svoego golosa na obshchikh sobraniyakh aktsionerov ROPiT i o knige «Istoriya ROPiTa za 50 let ego sushchestvovaniya»]. 1907–1913. (In Russian.)
  • Shevchenko S.M. (2006). Activities of Russian Society of Shipping and Trade in 1856–1878 [Deyatelnost Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli (ROPiT) v 1856–1878 gg.]. Sevastopol: Looking Back [Sevastopol: vzglyad v proshloe]. Sevastopol: Maksim ChP Aref’ev, pp. 98–101. (In Russian.)
  • ShevyakovaD.P. (2006). Sevastopol trade port. History. Opportunities and reality (the second half of XIX – early XX century) [Sevastopolskiy torgovyy port. Istoriya. Vozmozhnosti i realnost (vtoraya polovina XIX – nachalo XX veka)]. Sevastopol: Looking Back [Sevastopol: vzglyad v proshloe. Sevastopol: Maksim ChP Aref’ev Publ, pp. 85–90. (In Russian.)
  • Skalkovskiy A.A. (1870). The Russian Society of Shipping and Trade. 1857–1869 [Russkoe obshchestvo parokhodstva i torgovli. 1857–1869 g.] Odessa: P. Frantsov’s Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Skalkovskiy K.A. (1887). The Russian merchant fleet and urgent shipping company in the Black and Azov Seas [Russkiy torgovyy flot i srochnoe parokhodstvo na Chernom i Azovskom moryakh]. SaintPetersburg: A.S. Suvorin’s Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Statute of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade [Ustav Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli] (1856). Saint-Petersburg: D. Kesnevil’s Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Statute of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade [Ustav Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli] (1865). Saint-Petersburg: Tovarishchestvo «Obshchestvennaya polza» Typography. (In Russian.)
  • Stepanov D.A. (2011). Establishment of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade (1856–1857 years) [Uchrezhdenie russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli (1856–1857 gody)]. Bulletin of the Chelyabinsk State University [Vestnik Chelyabinskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta], no. 22 (237), History, no. 46, pp. 30–38. (In Russian.)
  • The General Meeting of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade [Obshchee sobranie Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli] (April 27, 1864). Saint-Petersburg. (In Russian.)
  • The General Meeting of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade [Obshchee sobranie Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli] (May 8, 1863). Saint-Petersburg. (In Russian.)
  • The list of shareholders of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade, with the right to vote by 24 April, 1866 [Spisok gg. aktsionerov Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli, imeyushchikh pravo golosa k 24 aprelya 1866 g.] (1866). Saint-Petersburg. (In Russian.)
  • Tompson S.R. (2008). Russian foreign trade of XIX – early XX century: organization and financing [Rossiyskaya vneshnyaya torgovlya XIX – nachala XX v.: organizatsiya i finansirovanie]. Moscow: ROSSPEN Publ. (In Russian.)
  • Trifonov Yu.N.andLemachko B.V. (2009). The Russian Society of Shipping and Trade [Russkoe obshchestvo parokhodstva i torgovli (ROPiT)]. 1856–1932. Saint-Petersburg: LeKo. (In Russian.)
  • Veykova S.N. (2006). The program of the Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolaevich and establishment of the Russian Society of Shipping and Trade [Programma velikogo knyazya Konstantina Nikolaevicha i sozdanie Russkogo obshchestva parokhodstva i torgovli]. The history of entrepreneurship in Russia: XIX – early XX century [Istoriya predprinimatel’stva v Rossii: XIX – nachalo XX veka], no. 2. Saint-Petersburg: Izdatelskiy dom S.-Peterburgskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. (In Russian.)
Publisher: Southern Federal University
Founder: Southern Federal University
ISSN: 2073-6606