SFeDu

Immigration as a challenge to the Western countries at current stage

TERRA ECONOMICUS, , Vol. 12 (no. 1),
p. 115-122

At the end of the XX – beginning of the XXI century increasing of immigrants while the indigenous population is declining became a serious problem in developed Western countries. Adaptation of migrants is going hard. It aggravates economic and social problems in host countries, leads to rise of social tensions. However, in Europe, unlike North America, the situation gets even a political connotation due to the Islamist factor and the corresponding threats. In the academic community, the problem of migrants has been estimated differently. There are various approaches and offered ways of its solution. Adequate responses to challenges of the XXI century still do not exist.

Keywords: immigrants; economic and social problems; multiethnic society; multiculturalism

References:
  • Davidson A.B. (2006). Key problem of the ХХI century: последствия распада империй. The New and the Newest History [Novaya i noveishaya istoriya], no. 2. (In Russian.)
  • Dobaev I.P. (2008). Islamization of Europe: a myth or are a threat? World Economy and International Relations, no. 4. (In Russian.)
  • Immigration in USA. Available at: www.ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Иммиграция_в_США. (In Russian.)
  • Korobkov А. (2008). USA – the country of immigrants, November 30. Available at: http://polit.ru/article/2008/11/30/demoscope351/ (In Russian.)
  • Our World [Nash mir] (2009), April 22. (In Russian.)
  • Illegal immigration in the USA (2010). New York. (In Russian.)
  • Ponamareva А. (2007). European Muslims: progressive fear factor. Security Index, no. 3. (In Russian.)
  • Russia and world in 2020 (2005). Moscow. (In Russian.)
  • Euronews (2013). Archive 11-07-2013. Available at: http://ru.euronews.com/2013/07/11. (In Russian.)
  • Tsapenko I. (2007). Moving forces of international migration of population. World Economy and International Relations, no. 3. (In Russian.)
  • Buchanan P.J. (2002). The Death of the West. New York: St. Martin’s Press.
  • Held D., Goldblatt D., McGrew A. and Perraton J. (1999). Global Transformations: Politics, Economics, and Culture. Stanford University Press, 540 p.
Publisher: Southern Federal University
Founder: Southern Federal University
ISSN: 2073-6606